GRANT APPLICATIONS DUE APRIL 15, 2021
Nana Malone’s #brownnipplechallenge and Lyric Audiobooks have joined together to create Audio in Color – a grant program to support BIPOC contemporary romance authors who have not yet released an indie audiobook.
We’re looking to expand opportunity for authors and narrators of color through funding authors’ first self-published audiobook project. It’s our hope that the proceeds from this grant-funded release will serve as seed money toward future indie audio releases. There will be six authors chosen as recipients for this round of applications, but we hope that we’re able to do more in the future!
Here’s the breakdown:
Lyric Audiobooks has a maximum budget of $5,000 USD per author allocated towards making your dream production happen! These funds are not an advance but rather a grant specifically for the production of the audiobook; they do not have to be paid back/will not be debited from any audiobook sales.
We have access to top-notch narrators and will work collaboratively with authors on the casting process. We’re looking to make all of your audio dreams come true! We won’t lump recipients together into one big project. Each author will be assigned a producer who works through the audiobook production process with you – she will get to know you and what your priorities are, plus be there for every step along the way.
But we aren’t just going to hand you a finished audiobook and leave you to it. You’ll have access to a webinar that goes over the entire audiobook publishing process from production to distribution to marketing and publicity. And we’ll be there on release day to help garner support for your first audiobook release!
Below is a rundown of everything you’ll need to do to help us make this happen. Keep in mind, you really just need to focus on Step 1 for now! The remaining steps will be taken alongside us once finalists and recipients have been decided upon.
STEP 1: Grant Application Process
- Read through this document thoroughly.
- Complete a straightforward application process by April 15th – APPLY HERE!
- Applicants who meet the criteria will be presented to an independent and impartial panel of judges. Judges will determine who the finalists and recipients are. Applicants will be notified via email of the status of their application by May 3rd 2021.
GRANT FINALISTS RECEIVE:
- Publicity as finalists
- Webinar with Lyric Audiobooks and author guest to learn best practices in audiobook production for indie authors.
- Grant applicants will be notified of whether they are recipients by May 15th 2021.
GRANT RECIPIENTS RECEIVE:
- Up to $5,000 toward production of their first indie audio release.
- Full audiobook production including casting, editing, and mastering with an assigned producer to guide the project.
- Marketing and publicity support.
STEP 3: Production
- Authors will have a pre-production meeting with a Lyric Audiobooks producer over Zoom to ask any questions they may have and discuss preferred narrators.
- Casting and scheduling of narrators will be organized by the producer.
- The entire production from start to finish will be project-managed by the producer.
- Upon completion of production, files will be delivered to the author for review/beta listen.
- Any corrections received after beta listen will be made promptly.
STEP 4: Audiobook Distribution
- The webinar for finalists will clarify this process.
- Lyric Audiobooks and Findaway will also provide guidance and help with any issues that arise during the uploading/distribution phases.
- Funded productions must be widely released (not be Audible exclusive) through Findaway and must remain “wide” in perpetuity. Authors can be in Kindle Unlimited for the ebook.
STEP 5: Marketing and merchandising
- Setting prices – $6.99 to $15.99 depending on length
- #Brownnipplechallenge – go live with Nana Malone upon release
- Lyric Audiobooks – feature in the listener newsletter and on all social media channels upon release.
- Apple Books – possible merchandising feature on the Apple Books store.
- Authors will be responsible for 3 Apple Books social media mentions through first 6 months on sale; one minimum newsletter mention, inclusion on website (dedicated Apple Books posts also encouraged)
- Findaway – will submit merchandising requests to other retailers upon upload of files + metadata.
- Features on: Aural Fixation and WOCinRomance. We will also help with outreach to other platforms and authors to help promote the audiobook.
- Social media templates in the Audio in Color branding will be available for use (optionable).
- Audiograms will be created for each production for use across your social media channels.
- Bask in the glory of self-publishing your first audiobook!
- Hopefully sales from this initial production can help to fund your future project(s).
We hope this initiative excites you as much as it excites all of us!
Still have questions? Scroll down to see our FAQs below. You can also submit additional questions at the end of the application form.
What qualifies me for this grant? What would disqualify me?
If you are not a BIPOC writing contemporary romance, sorry but you won’t make the list! We’re open to all subgenres, so don’t shy away from applying.
If you already self-publish your audiobooks, you likely already have an established relationship with a producer and are well versed in the audio world, so you do not qualify. If you think you have extenuating circumstances, please reach out to us to discuss.
If you have previously licensed audio rights to publishers, but have not self-published your work in audio yet, you are still qualified to apply!
I have another production company in mind, do I have to work with Lyric Audiobooks?
On this first project? Yes.
But do you have to commit to Lyric beyond this project? No. Hopefully any proceeds you receive from the sales of this initial project can go towards future audiobook productions wherever and however you like! You can read some current client testimonials here.
How do I know how far $5,000 will get me production-wise?
Your assigned producer can help with budgeting. We recommend a book with a word count of less than 85,000 to keep things under budget. If you’re over that word count and are okay with paying for the remaining cost of the production, we can make that happen!
Can I only produce one book? What if I have a whole series?
Producing the first book in a series can be a good way to gauge your audience’s interest in audiobooks. We recommend starting with Book One and experimenting with your marketing to see how that goes prior to taking on additional projects.
If you have two or three short novellas you’d like to publish instead, that works too! We want to help you produce whatever you’ve been daydreaming about having in the audio format.
Still have a question? There is a section in the application form where you can ask us anything! Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions there as well.
Applications accepted between March 15th and April 15th, 2021 only. 2021 recipients will be announced on May 15th 2021.
Six authors will each receive:
– Up to $5,000 USD towards their first self-published audiobook production
– An assigned producer to make it all happen
– Marketing and promotion support
– Publicity through the #brownnipplechallenge
– Guidance through each step of self-publishing an audiobook
Any Black, Indigenous, or Person of Color over the age of 18 who is writing contemporary romance fiction and has never produced an audiobook of their work.
The manuscript must be an original work written in English with unlicensed audio rights.
All applications will be accepted via this form only between March 15 and April 15, 2021.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Each production is limited to $5,000 USD funding. If a production exceeds those costs, the author will incur the cost difference.
Upon being named a recipient, you shall provide the final manuscript in a diligent and timely manner. Frontlist titles that have not yet been completed will have a scheduled due date set by the author and the production of the audiobook shall depend upon that deadline being met.
Limitation of Liability
Neither party shall be liable to the other for any indirect, incidental, consequential, special or exemplary damages, including, but not limited to, loss of profits, or loss of business opportunity, even if such damages are foreseeable and whether or not either party has been advised of the possibility thereof.
Neither party shall, without permission, publicly share any trade secrets or confidential information including any information gathered or shared through the application process. All information will however be shared with Audio in Color’s panel of judges.
Upon being named a recipient, you agree to participate in targeted promotional activities including social media and one video for the #brownnipple challenge.
When your audiobook is published the end credits will include the line “This presentation was made possible in part by a grant from Audio in Color.”
Right to Copy of Finished Work
The recipient shall remain the sole rights holder for all completed audiobooks. Producer may retain a digital copy of the finished project and agrees that Lyric Audiobooks, LLC may use all or a portion of the copy on its website or in other ways for promotional purposes, subject to the Confidentiality clause above.